This is the first of two courses required to complete the requirements of NFPA 1407.
How long is the course?
This is a 16-20 hour course. Both days have a classroom and practical component. Students must successfully complete a written assessment on the second day.
What will students learn?
In this course students will learn:
- Smoke reading and fire behaviour
- Building size-up and situational awareness
- Air management
- Understanding & calling "Mayday"
- RIT roles and responsibilities
- Proactive vs. reactive RIT
- Personal & company RIT tools
- Second floor exits, ladder bailouts & rope bailouts
- Below grade exits
- Wall breaching and SCBA low profiling
- SCBA confidence maze
- Search techniques
- Downed firefighter assessment & packaging
- Firefighter drag techniques
- Moving firefighter up/down stairs (1&2 rescuer techniques)
What certification will students receive?
Each successful student will receive a certificate of completion in Self-rescue & RIT awareness from Prepare4. The certificate states the course was completed in accordance with, but not in completion of NFPA 1407.